Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kevin Barnes's management

As a devoted follower of everything produced, touched or even mentioned by Of Montreal, I recently put my hands on MGMT, formerly known as The Management. In 2005 this group, consisting of Ben Goldwasser and Andrew VanWyngarden (I guess both of Dutch descent?) went on a tour with His Royal Godness Kevin Barnes And The Band, which I cannot imagine having done any harm to their music.

Having peddled their Time To Pretend EP for three years, nowadays they're definitely for real.

MGMT's debut album was released January 22nd and it's definitely the first release of 2008 I'm really, really excited about. Think Of Montreal, add some eighties panache and maybe even a little Broken Social Scene.

MGMT - The Youth (mp3)

MGMT - Time To Pretend (video)

3 comments:

Choquolage said...

I'm rilly curious.

Jan said...

You're quicker than me! MGMT is really getting a lot of Winamp-time here...

The track Kids really makes me happy! "You pick the insects off plants, no time to think of consequences" is the best lyric of 2008 so far :)

Musically, I think more of T-Rex and Muse than of of Montreal, though. Strangely enough, that's not negative in this case!

Jan said...

Oh and by the way, MGMT will be playing in Paradiso on March 6th; I'm going to get tickets tomorrow :)