Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Gang Ba-… no wait, I meant Gang Ban-... sorry, I meant Ga-…Bang Gang.

In 2003 I got my hands on an Icelandic masterpiece. Bang Gang’sSomething Wrong’ is the work of writer/producer/musician Bardi Johannsson and breathes a certain Icelandic atmosphere. Yes, opener ‘Inside’ is an epic song that does remind of Björk’s Homogenic but the album has more to offer. ‘Follow’ offers slow, sad melancholy and ‘Something Wrong’ is driven by a great beat. The rest swerves from indie gituary songs to more soundscape-ish songs to perfectly crafted pop (check out their cover of 'Stop in the Name of Love'). And all this without losing too much coherence. Vocals are from Johannsson, Phoebe Tolmer and Keren Ann (who recently released a new solo-album).

In 2007 the album has been re-released for a good reason. It’s a masterpiece. I hope it gets more recognition this time around.

Something Wrong

It’s Alright

There has been a remix competition for the song Find What You Get so expect the net to be flooding with them very soon. I’m curious to see if the winning remix will be better than the one Shout Out Out Out Out did.

No comments: