Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pukkelpop: part 2

Now, almost a week after our First Time at Pukkelpop, I found out where the festival got it’s name. Zits (pukkels) is what you get after trying whatever kind of festival food you can get during those three days, whenever you’re not going for the eight euros fruit shake. Waffles, hamburgers, spring rolls, it just didn’t matter. But, let me tell you, you’re lucky if zits are the only physical outcome of what I just summed up…

(bridge)

Who also found something out are The Pigeon Detectives. While Matt Bowman was performing his little microphone circus act on stage, apparently his girlfriend back home in England was seeing someone else. The rest is history. Matt became an enthusiastic nationalist, confusing everything white and red with the English flag. But let’s give the guy a break. Referring to it as simple chauvinism kind of makes him and his fellow detectives look a little nicer and the music is not all that bad. Pacing up and down the stage slinging your microphone is probably just a sign of boredom after an exhausting tour… especially when your girlfriend back home etc etc etc…

Bonde do Rolê on the contrary are the kind of people who leave their boyfriends/girlfriends at home waiting, while themselves whoring and groupieing their way through a festival season. And if need be, all that can just take place on stage. If that isn’t economic, what else is? What’s not very economic is the fact they’re making use of a wide range of samples, such as the guitar riff of The Darkness’ I Believe In A Thing Called Love and the intro of Summer Nights from Grease. On the other side, that makes their show attractive to people who aren’t familiar with them yet. Their performance was marvellous and band member Pedro D’Eyrot and me share at least one thing: our favourite Bonde do Rolê track is Divine Gosa (mp3)!

From Divine tot Patrick Wolf is just a small step (I promise this was my last forcedly constructed textual bridge). The album versions of his little jewels are true pieces of art, and what happens to them when played live is probably the exact contrary of what happens to a Pop Levi track when performed on stage. If I were a song… I would want to be The Libertine by Patrick Wolf. I would have the finest violin lines and people would stare at me with their mouths open. They would all say: “how does this Gepetrick Wolf turn his creatures even more vivid on stage, whilst they already shake the needle of my record player temptuously from side to side when I play his record at home? I guess we’ll never know…

2 comments:

Choquolage said...

And if I had to be a lyric I would be one from WorthyNonsense:

"whilst they already shake the needle of my record player temptuously from side to side"...

Review or poetry? you decide.

Anonymous said...

What was that about Matt Bowman's girlfriend?!