Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's elementary, my dear Patrick Watson...

For my first post, I'm not going to talk about an entire style, artist, album or even song. Some songs, albums, artists or even styles you may have to grow accustomed to - sure. I want to get down to the basics instead.

From time to time, just listening to a random song, you get this magical moment: "What? What! Can I hear that again?" - a snippet of a song that is just so cool you have to hear it over and over again. It could be a lyric that's really cool, but that's not what I'm talking about here (worthy of another post, though!). Sometimes the music itself is so enchantingly beautiful that you can listen to the same ten-second segment on repeat for hours on end.

My most recent run-in with this phenomenon was with the opening track of Caribou's new CD, Andorra. The song is called "Melody Day" and the relevant moment occurs right at the start, at 0:15, 0:28, 0:35, 0:42, 0:56 etcetera. Just those high plinking tones, mind you, forget about the tambourine - those high tones make me all dreamy.

What's your favourite snippet?

2 comments:

Choquolage said...

Hard to chose just one, so I won't. I'd say 'Voor ik vergeet' by Spinvis, at 2:51, I always get chills. The first ten seconds of 'The Jessica Numbers', it's also my ringtone. At 3:07 in 'Ocean of Noise' by Arcade Fire the horn-piece starts (thanks to Calexico for that). But if I had to name just one it'd be 'Take me somewhere nice' by Mogwai. At 3:08 a sort of orchestral solo starts that gives me goosebumps, even when I hear it the 500th time.

Ruben said...

Favorite snippets of me are:
Pace is The Trick by Interpol at 3:18 (the short instrumental part);
I Might Be Wrong by Radiohead at 3:52 (many snippets played on the guitar);
Untitled 8 by Sigur Rós at 10:45 (Jonssi and his bow).