Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Kevin and Feist sitting in a tree, S-O-C-I-A-L-I-S-I-N-G

With the risk of repeating of repeating myself; I love me some Broken Social Scene. And not just the Broken part, but the entire Social Scene. Last year they put the collective on indefinite hiatus since the members of the scene had more success with their solo-projects and bands than was (probably) anticipated (especially Feist*). But soon they came up with a new, more workable format called 'BSS Presents...'. It features one song-writer with parts of the collective playing his/her songs. First up is Kevin Drew, who together with Brendan Canning forms the core of BSS.

Where BSS sounded chaotic, explosive (in a very good way) and anthemic on their last album Kevin's 'Spirit If...' sounds more subdued. It’s less eclectic but still eclectic enough and it’s far more personal. Although most lyrics are still indecipherable they contain just enough understandable parts to move you. Like in ‘Bodhi Sappy Weekend’ where the repeating line “please don’t scratch me out” sounds anguished and desperate, especially placed between the lines that are less direct. Desperation and frustration seem to be the main themes on Spirit if…, with song-titles like 'Tbtf' (Too beautiful to fuck), 'F-up Kids' (“he’s in love with the fucked up kids”) and 'BrokeMe Up' ("everybody broke me up").
There is a lot to discover in Spirit if…
and it's easily one of the best albums of this year for me. But then again, I am a bit prejudiced. Because I love me some Broken Social Scene.


Frustrating: Kevin Drew - Tbtf (download from site)

In love with the fucked up kids: kevin Drew - F-up Kids (mp3)

Apparently he wrote this in three hours as a gift for a friend who had a bad day: Kevin Drew - Cocaine Skin (myspace)


* Rumor is that Kevin is dating Feist (who just keeps popping up everywhere). They could be the coolest pair since Nick Cave and PJ Harvey.

No comments: