Friday, September 28, 2007

Not quite so Serene Republic

In 2005 I went to see Broken Social Scene. I managed to see the last couple of songs from The Most Serene Republic who opened for them and I have to say; I was impressed. Even though similarities with BSS are obvious (large group of Canadians with male and female vocals making cacophonic music) they were actually the first band to be signed to the Arts & Crafts label who were not in any way part of BSS.

As I said, when I saw them live they intrigued me. I quickly found their debut ‘Underwater Cinematographer’ and expected to love the album. That, sadly never happened. It’s not that it’s a bad record, it just never clicked with me. Even the song I liked best from that album (‘Where Cedar Nouns And Adverbs Walk’) had a clear flaw (an unnecessarily long intro). Here was an album I really wanted to like but didn’t, what I mostly heard was potential.

Then came 2006 and I came upon ‘Emergency Performance Art Piece’ from their EP ‘Phages’. I really liked it and hoped this was an indication of their second album.

Now their second album ‘Population’ is (almost) out and they have made progress. The mathematic rhythms are still here, as are the cacophonic mash of instruments and the beautiful harmonizing. But the songs are much stronger and much better structured. It’s good to see they're living up to their potential.


From their debut: The Most Serene Republic - Where Cedar Nouns And Adverbs Walk (myspace)

From the new one: The Most Serene Republic – Present of Future End

No comments: