Thursday, March 13, 2008

PC, Hi-IQ Niggers and Teenage Pregnancy

If you haven't seen Juno yet, go do so. Now. Not only is the movie nice (nice enough to make me cry, 2 out of two times I've seen it - whereas Contact only managed 66.65% :)

But the soundtrack... Man that snipped my bellbottows off with a boxcutter (*)! The indie tracks are very high quality - two Belle&Sebastian tracks! Sonic Youth/The Carpenters actually featuring - as in being talked about - in a movie! Cat Power! - The Kinks (selling point for your parents (unless you're preggers I guess)). Best thing, the original tracks are really catchy too, I kept whistling them walking home for days. Why didn't they get an Oscar?

Connecting nicely into the (major spoiler! ?) upper class babies, here's a very good track by Cadence Weapon: "Tattoos and What They Really Feel Like". Sounds gangsta, but it's not!

His new record "Afterparty Babies" is out now on Canada's upperclass records. I'm listening to it right now and it's very, very good. Cool beats and very cool rhymes without the "Look at me I'm a white guy from Nova Scotia" Buck 65 routine :) To be sure, they both suffer from excessive name-drop-ism but when you're namedropping Ian Curtis/Frida Kahlo I guess you are allowed some leeway.

Here's another nice Cadence Weapon video on YouTube: "Sharks". That one's a bit older, though.
Finally, here's a really booming track: House Music

Full disclosure: I am a big fan of CWs labelmate The Russian Futurists. I read their promotional emails. I really look forward to TRF's next album ;-) Finally: I downloaded CW's latest from bitTorrent, but will go see him as the pre/post-show of The Russian Futurists!

(*) = I stole that too from Cadence Weapon. He's just got too many good lines!

No comments: