Friday, March 7, 2008

Three String Transpose

Canada! Whooo! (Yeah!)

Now that we've got that out of the way, let me tell you what I thought about last Monday's concert by Islands and We are Wolves.

I'd seen both of them before, both at Dour 2006. The difference was that I saw Islands from the back of a chock-filled tent and WaW pretty close-up. That time, Islands was all dressed in white and you couldn't really hear the songs. But - they must have been pretty good otherwise the tent collectively would have buggered off to get french fries or beer. They didn't bring the pretty violin girl along this time, but they had two Japanese guys (I guess they had them 2 years ago, but I didn't notice) so that was about even. Musically, they were interesting enough to listen to, a great way to spend a pre-show, but nothing more. Come on, a 6-piece band should be able to give a nice show!

Less is better.

It was turning kind of late on a regular Monday night, but who needs to go to sleep on a regular Monday night when you've got three guys - one with a bass, one with a drum kit and one with a synth & drumcomputer? Everybody who has got a job, that's who!

They started off with "Walk Away" but then the main bass string broke. That was a good thing, because they were just about loud in a good way. The roadie tried to repair it, didn't work, so then Alexander (if wikipedia is correct) transposed the songs down into three strings. That, on the other hand did work! The show was not as gut-wrenching deep down as you'd want, but my hearing aid will thank you for it later on.

I will not moan about the songs I like that I think that they should have played (I Wrote Your Name On My Kite), but here's a new We Are Wolves song I reallly like (and the video is great too!), Psychic Kids: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8fE4XMxz-NY

It has also got stop-motion IKEA furniture, Britney could use more of that!

Ah yeah, one more thing to mention: they didn't only play the new album but also the oldies - as far as you can speak of that! And yes, that includes Little Romeo and Little Birds!

As I am writing this, The Russian Futurists has posted completion of his next album, so I can obsess over a new Canadian band for the next two months!! :-)

No comments: