Monday, November 5, 2007

Alcian Blue

Precisely a year ago Alcian Blue’s website read that the Washington DC-based band called it a day and quit. Two months ago I read this ‘news’ after discovering their self-titled/produced debut album and couldn’t believe that a wider audience hadn’t noticed them. And the fact that they make shoegaze/ gothrock/ dreampop/ postpunk/ or whatever you want to call it, couldn’t have been a real obstacle since Pitchfork is smurfing A Place To Bury Strangers.


A few months before quitting, Alcian Blue delivered a masterpiece with delicate synthscapes, hushed vocals, lots of pedals (thanks to Death By Audio, again see my last
post) and a drum machine. Especially the use of the latter makes their sound distinct from My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, The Cure, Joy Divis…Yawn...

Where was I? Oh yes, this year they released their final EP Years To Late, with four of the five tracks listenable at
theirplace. But I have to say that it’s not as great, gloomy, synthy and truly wonderful as their album, due to the fact that their drum machine is replaced by an actual drummer and their songs are too dreamy and stretched out…which is also nice, but makes them less unique…but I already said that. Did I mention that they are great!?



Three of the many favorites of their self-titled album:

Very Cure-esque:
Alcian Blue - You Just Disappear (mp3)

Pounding yet slow: Alcian Blue - Frozen Sleep (mp3)

Tambourine jingles: Alcian Blue - See You Shine (mp3)

1 comment:

Choquolage said...

'Frozen Sleep' might just be my favorite. But I like the album as a whole too.