Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Arcade Fire still burns or the Win Butler did it

Last april Arcade Fire would play in the beautiful Vredenburg theatre. The band and the place gave the show high potential and it was sold out immediately. Unfortunately frontman Win Butler lost his voice and had to skip the rest of the tour, including that show. Last night they had their revenge. They played in the (much bigger and less intimate, as in: not at all) Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. But still I had high hopes. And that was just what I was afraid of.
Because may 2005 I (together with Konditorei) saw them in Amsterdam and that is probably still my favorite concert ever. It was one of those concerts where everything just comes together. The setting was Paradiso, a venue that's not too big and used to be a church (with those beautiful windows) where their theatrical music fits perfectly. The crowd was enthousiastic and ecstatic but respectfull (as in not clapping and not singing when they shouldn't be. Yes I'm talking directly to you, you stupid spastic bitch and monotomous zobie asshole!). The bandmembers were obviously enjoying themselves and the songs and the set were fantastic.
That's why I was a bit scared that yesterdays show would not live up to my expectations. And for a song it didn't. Opener 'Black Mirror' didn't impress that much because the sound was crap and Win seemed a bit agitated (by the crap sound I now assume) but the sound got better. And then they played an incredible version of 'In The Backseat' and I knew that they still had it. Chills. And I haven't even mentioned the fantastic New Order cover or the visuals. The big round screens showing live-footage (made to look old) and real old tv fragments.

I think everyone would agree with me that it was quite a spectacular show. Aside from the sound that started badly the only thing I criticism I can come up with is the fake flat organ...I don't see why there was a need for that.


One of the many highlights: Arcade Fire - No Cars Go (mp3)

What good would that do if there's no place to go, I ask you: Arcade Fire - Keep the Car Running (mp3)


Thanks to Konditorei for starting this post and Ruben for linking the Age of Consent cover.

2 comments:

Ruben said...

For me it was together with Low in Paradiso the best concert of the year. The Backseat was phenomenal and RĂ©gine is adorable! The expectations were pretty high, but they easily lived up to it.

btw, when I see the concert on Fabchannel, I have to say that the concert in HMH was way better!

Konditorei said...

Maybe the concert in the HMH was better, but in memory the Paradiso show was the best show I ever experienced. The sphere, the audience, the intensity, the singing-along-even-if-you-don't-even-have-a-microphone, and the newness of the music were just overwhelming at that time. Such things as the best concert ever, are just not objective I...