Thursday, November 1, 2007

Beep-boop beep-beep-boop!

What are you saying R2D2? Has Timmy fallen down the well again?

Ah, Blip-blop. I never played much of the original Super Mario, but I had a Commodore 64. Whenever I feel like moving around on the dancefloor like a robot from 1984, there is nothing like this!

My like for the genre started with an impromptu performance by 6955 in Utrecht (my sleeve is even crappier than the one shown there, poke around for fun stuff and MP3s). It was a really great show, just a guy on stage dicking around with a bunch of Nintendos but somehow using them for sequencing real cool music.

Then on to 64revolt (another site with lots of free MP3s, try Alice, Sweet Alice) and Motormark (now sadly defunct, but what a great closing show for Dour 2006! - I remember thinking 'So this is what electro-punk-rock for the 2010s sounds like!' ) and then Dan Deacon (see Choquolage's last post).

The Polish Ambassador also deserves to be snuck inbetween somewhere. Although, strictly, he's not blip-blop, he gave me last year's summer soundtrack. Especially with London Telecommunicating. He has also made one rather silly video featuring my IKEA chair :)

The latest (and greatest - isn't it always?) in this line is Crystal Castles. Not named after the computer game (from 1983!) but after She-ra's Castle! Yeah, from He-man. How nerdy can you get? Well, for me not nerdy enough, because Knights is a really awesome song. Check it out here , but close your eyes - the video does not move at all!)

And then, there's also Megablast (Hip Hop On Precinct 13) by Bomb the Bass and ASCII Disko and The Peoples Republic of Europe (or The Popular European Republic, or whatever they are called) and Add N to (X)... But they don't really count.

1 comment:

Choquolage said...

I love this kind of music. Maybe Worthynonsense will say something about Thermostatic.
My favorite 8-bit song is the final stage from Kirby's dreamland for the Gameboy. Below is the link to video of it. Kirby nearly dies at 1:09...very scary shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9U3pdQUCM&feature=PlayList&p=C1C0426A9CC6A857&index=5