Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Apparat

One of my favorite electronic records of last year was 'Orchestra of Bubbles' by Ellen Allien & Apparat. I knew Ellen Allien, Berlin Techno-diva and founder of BPitch Control music label but hadn't heard Apparat's music before (although he worked on Ellen's 2003 'Berlinette') and was very curious about it. Apparat is Sascha Ring, electronic musician and one of the owners of Shitkatapult records who released 'Walls' in may this year.
Walls is a surprisingly eclectic record. It features pure dance-pop (Hailing from the Edge and especially Holdon), darker Junior Boys-y songs (Limelight) and M83-like synth-shoegaze (Headup). but my favorite is the two-part Fractales. Part 1 has beats that would make Timbaland go fetal in a corner with jealousy but at the same time are much more subte and delicate than his. Part 2 is a fragile melancholic dreamy synth-scape with lots of strings.

This friday I will have to face a difficult descision; at STRP festival Apparat and Roisin Murphy will partly play at the same time. What should I do?


Best dance song from 2006: Ellen Allien & Apparat - Do Not Break (myspace)

A beatmaster at work: Apparat - Fractales part 1 (myspace)

A remix from BPitch control's hipsters and one of Thom Yorke's favorite band's: Apparat - Holdon (Modeselektor Remix) (mp3)

6 comments:

david said...

Oh! Still sad I can't go there friday (but making music beats watching it)(I hope)..

But! Will you be there (oh whoelse) saturday, for the great Trentemoeller?

About Apparat: my favorite electronic (with Trentemoeller & The Field) - his older EP's are [...] (insert something very positive that doesn't sound cheesy to you) and Walls is one of the best albums of this year, defenitely.

Choquolage said...

Won't be there saturday. I'm afraid I won't even see Modeselektor saturday, but they'll do a DJ-set then and not play 'live'. I'm thankfull that I've already seen Soulwax do their remixes and their Too Many -set this year and won't have to wait until 03:30 for them to start (they play until 05:30!).

david said...

(5:30, een show met goede trein-aansluiting!)

Okay - I'll be waiting for the apparat & band review!

Wes said...

Just run from Apparat to Roisin, that's what I'll do.

Plus Apparat isn't thát great live, for me it's gonna be a party weekend!

Choquolage said...

Running it will be :)

david said...

De headlines aldaar: "RM overtuigt niet"?